In the years ahead, the use of lithium-ion batteries, battery cells and battery modules will continue to increase dramatically in all industrial applications. However, the hazard potential involved in the production, storage and transportation of lithium-ion batteries is considerable. During transport, it is important to be aware that damaged lithium-ion batteries must always be referenced as dangerous goods. The hidden risks involved (energy density, spontaneous ignition potential, electrolyte loss, release of hydrofluoric acid) must not be underestimated. PyroBubbles® is not only a product that can be flexibly used as an extinguishing agent, it is also ideal as a fire protection product for protecting critical lithium-ion batteries as well as the areas of transportation, storage and logistics that are chained to such energy storage systems.
For the first time it is now possible to use safe, economical, standardised solutions instead of expensive, individual packaging solutions. It consists of a special container with a pressure relief valve and a filling of the PyroBubbles® fire protection product. The components are matched to each other in such a way that even a thermal runaway by one of the batteries presents no threat to the immediate environment. Within the framework of current regulations, a separate inner packaging is no longer required. The capacity for absorbing electrolyte has been examined and certified by the BAM. We are planning to develop safety containers with a module net weight exceeding 400 kg.
The following points are of particular interest with regard to the PyroBubbles GENIUS transport container safety system:
- Vapours condense on the granulate.
- Ignitable mixtures are rendered inert by means of oxygen displacement.
- Vapours and liquids (electrolyte) deposit themselves on the highly porous surface and are thus bound (absorption).
- High thermal capacity absorbs a lot of heat energy, which leads to a cooling of the reaction gases to almost ambient temperature.
- Low thermal conductivity isolates the cell fire at its point of origin and prevents the spread of fire.
- Packaging method approved by the Federal Institute of Material Research and Testing (BAM).